Baby Bug 2

Those who have been with me since the inception of the blog will remember the original Baby Bug post. I believe the incubation period (no pun intended) of this illness has passed and it is now in its fullness, making my life a rather unbalanced place at times.

Today I was moping around the house WILLING my body to find energy somewhere, anywhere, for the work that needed to be accomplished. As the walls closed in around me and my brain refused to engage in any dissertation or internship-related activity, I opted for some erranding. Surely it would be good to get out, breathe some fresh (95% humidity) air, accomplish a few necessities. Oh, I need to purchase a gift for a friend's baby shower tomorrow...

So I set out for Babies 'R Us down in Greenbrier. In my condition.

Emotional suicide, or what?

By the time I had finished my shopping (for two items), I could completely envision the nursery in our home in the event of either a boy or a girl, and imagined my beautiful infants (yes, plural) wiggling around in their Sleep Sacks atop Carter's deluxe waterproof crib pads, perhaps with the First Years Air Flow Sleep Positioner to help them stay in place.

I was a big emotional puddle. Not pretty.

I was in such a state leaving Babies 'R Us that I immediately called my husband at work, demanding to understand why he knowingly allowed me to walk into Babies 'R Us when I was ALREADY having a bad day. The conversation culminated in me wailing that I will be the last mommy EVER on the WHOLE PLANET, because everyone else will have a baby by the time we FINALLY start a family.

Joel, you are a strong, patient man to put up with me.

When my husband had sufficiently assured me that we would, in fact, have children one day, and that before I turn 40, I took a deep breath and wished him a lovely last hour of work. I am nothing if not sanguine and resilient.

Although I confess that I debated purchasing a pregnancy test on my way home because, hello, who gets that emotional over a trip to Babies 'R Us without some serious hormonal interference?

And then I remembered that the book we are reading for my ladies' Bible study is called "Rare Jewel of Christian Contentment." Rare jewel indeed.

Oh Lord, quiet my spirit and GIVE ME A BABY. In Your perfect timing, of course. Amen.

**this is hilarious and tragic (and true):
Joel: I just got an email about a possible Christmas present for you.
Me: really really??? is it a baby?
Joel: yeah, it was an email from the stork king
Me: SHUT UP

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Liz, Liz, Liz,
*shakes head and laughs*
you have gotta be the most adorable person in the world I love you! haha First things first, I love your excitement and I love your emotion, but i have to tell you..hehe you might remember saying this to me a time or two.
For God has a plan for you and for your life, when its supposed to happen it will. :-) i love you and miss you. I hope you are doing well.
all in good time hon all in good time.
*smiles and laughs quietly to self*

Ken said...

Love the stork king comment. What can I say.

Elizabeth, you might consider going into public relations. You are certainly setting the stage for a mega-baby shower!

Ken

PS: "Mega" modifies both words that follow it.

PPS: Let's end word verification!

Joel said...

Ken, you might consider going into the lobbying industry, with your grassroots campaign to end word verification!

At least it prevents spammers, right?