Gigantic Nose-ache

You read that right. Have you ever had a nose-ache before? Here's the story:

So Joel and I were over at our friends' house playing Cornhole. This is an addictive variation of beanbag toss, and Ryan made his own boards and beanbags, so we enjoyed several hours playing with him and his wife, Jess. A lovely time was had by all, until...

Joel was sitting in a chair, awaiting his turn and generally minding his own business, when all of a sudden, with no warning whatsoever (which is generally what is meant by "all of a sudden"), he was reacting to some apparent pain. Astonished, we all asked him what had happened. He claimed that something bit him in the back of the head, just behind his left ear. We looked and could just make out a tiny pinprick, and soon the area was red. It was as though he had been dive-bombed by a hit-and-run stinger! Weird.

So we made sure he was alright and moved on with our game, assuming it had been just a weird, freakish anomaly.

A short time later, we had finished the game and let their frisky puppies out to run in the backyard. I was perched on a chair next to Joel, who was sitting in the same chair where the dive-bombing had happened earlier.

I can't even tell you how it happened.

Those watching said everything was normal and then all of a sudden, they heard a noise like a yap or yelp, and I was holding my nose.

All I know is that there was lots of black flapping chaos in front of my face and a sharp PAIN.

It reminded me a lot of a nightmare I had as a child of a huge butterfly landing on my nose and biting it. Only this time I didn't wake up screaming.

But just as soon as it (whatever it was) had stung me, it was gone! Another hit-and-run stinging.

I spent the rest of the evening with an ice pack on my nose, and I think it helped because you can't really see anything. But I have an enormous nose-ache that is radiating through the rest of my head, as though that rabid insect's venom is seeping through my brain.


And that is the story of two Pearce dive-bombings in one day. If I weren't so psychologically well-adjusted I would start to wonder if some queen bee somewhere has it in for us.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

If it makes you feel any better I was bitten twice yesterday whilst pitching horse shoes, and once Friday whilst biking.

Rebecca said...

oh wow! that is a funny story...too bad it was your nose though. Although, it wouldn't have been nearly as funny if it was your hand. :-)

Anonymous said...

I'm here to report that we have launched an all out search for the rogue assailant.

Hopefully the search is productive and we can deliver justice to the Pearces. I also hope that this deters any plans you and Joel have for suing us.

I really do feel bad though for inviting you guys to such a hostile environment.

-Ryan

Scott Pearce said...

A nightmare about a butterfly landing on your nose? You poor thing! I'm sure it has nothing to do with you falling asleep to Delilah.