Quotables

In the tradition of my blogger husband, I would like to share something quotable with you on this particular Lord's Day. My citation takes the form not of a quote, per se, but of a link to a great blog post from our church's blog. Ladies and gentleman, Ken Shomo's "Marriage Top Ten".

This insightful post inspires me to think about ways in which the Ten Commandments apply to other areas of life, not just marriage. Following this line of thought brings into sharp focus my tendency to exalt things, tasks, and people to the highest priority rather than viewing them, and myself, in rightful submission to God. He alone occupies the throne as King of kings and Lord of my life. From a right view of His sovereign position flow the rest of His commandments as they relate to all aspects of life - to bear God's name fully and appropriately, to love and honor others, to be content with the portion He has given, to be a vessel of life and healing, to find sabbath rest in Him.

God's commandments reveal His character and His intent for the ordering of our lives. Far from being one-dimensional decrees prohibiting things like fornication and deception, these edicts emanate from the heart of God as beautiful streams of water. They do not limit my life; rather, they cast light upon the way to life abundant! The fullest life is not focused inwardly on my feelings and inclinations, but outwardly on the straight edge of the Lord's holiness.

What a great challenge, to consider God's "Top Ten" in relation to my marriage, occupation, relationships, priorities...as someone once said of the gospel (the name escapes me at the moment...help, anyone?), so too is the Law so simple that even a child can understand it, yet so profound that even the most learned scholars will never exhaust its depths.

As we who live on this side of the Cross consider the high standard of the law, we are faced with our insurmountable need for grace. God's law points us forward to the justice and grace of the Cross even as grace illuminates the beauty of the original law. The two are revealed to be inseparably joined in the holiness of God - His perfect standard, and His means of raising us to it. There is no way in which the circle of law and grace is incomplete. Simple, profound, beautiful.

Thank you, Lord, for your law, and for the completeness it finds in your grace. Through your Word and by the Holy Spirit, convict us of sin and convince us of grace.

1 comment:

Ken said...

Thanks for your encouragement and I'm glad the Top 10 are stirring your thoughts too. This has been a very helpful series for me, and I look forward to a Pearce-like tradition of preaching on the Ten Commandments (and their many implications) more often.