Our (My) Very First Yardwork

Today, for the first time EVER, I did yard work in my VERY OWN YARD. Or as close as I've ever had to my very own yard. We may not own the dirt, but the people who do are very very far away and what they don't know won't hurt us.

Behold, the Before Pictures:




In case you can't tell from the pictures (ha), the front of our house is UGLY. The beds are full of nasty multicolored gravelly rocks and subsequently rocky dirt, a plethora of weeds, and in the third picture, nothing at all. Just dirt. Right out next to our front stoop. Nasty! Something needs to be done.

And that something involves completely pulling everything out and starting over with something hardy and non-direct-sunlight-requiring. And lots of mulch.

Today I made a start (the pictures above are Mostly Before...I had actually already weeded a LOT out of the long bed). Then I realized that shoveling rocks makes my back hurt, and decided that my husband is infinitely better suited for manual labor than I. I am a delicate flower, and he is a big strong man who has years of landscaping experience. But it makes me sad that shoveling causes me so much pain, because I really enjoy working with my hands and seeing something shaped and changed because of my work.

Do you think that's how God feels about working on us? I wonder if he tools around in my life with big gloves on, pulling out weeds and roots and whistling while he does it because he enjoys it SO MUCH and can't wait to see the finished product. What a neat thought! I bet his lower back doesn't seize up when he breaks out the shovel though.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

haha...this makes me think of someone I know well...hmmm...oh, yeah! ME! :-)

Scott Pearce said...

Yeah, Joel--it sounds like your delicate flower has been in cahoots with my delicate flower in an attempt to shirk yardwork responsibilities.

Becca has no problem urging me to put in a vegetable garden, but wants very little to do with the back-breaking work involved with transforming a grass plot into a tillable garden plot.