New Castle Must Have Plenty of Coal

I've just arrived home from my second and final road trip of the month. And hopefully will not be putting rump to car seat for a good long time! My Nissan and I have covered just over 2,000 miles in the past 2 weeks, and R.C. Sproul has never seemed such a bosom buddy. Why, we had the most delightful conversation during the last half hour of my drive home from Tennessee. Last night. At 2:30 a.m.

We get a bit punchy when we're on the road for nine hours by ourselves. R.C. will tell you.

Though you can't begin to imagine the solid, Reformation teaching that has permeated my brain in the past few weeks. If Sproul can Renew Your Mind in 26:50, what do you think happens in (18*2*26:50) + (17*2*26:50)?

I will tell you that I can finish his sentences verbatim and answer his rhetorical questions with nary an effort. [He's making a few grammatical errors in his old age, particularly with regard to subject/verb agreement, he loves the Steelers, and his new favorite phrase is "carrying coal to New Castle", whatever that means (I think it means doing something unnecessary or superfluous?).]

The upside?

Never have I felt so confident of my salvation, so sure of my election, and so ready to give an answer for the things I believe. Go ahead, try me. Reformation theology is like a sweet, sweet drug - wine gladdens the hearts of men, but TULIP makes them positively giddy.

Or it could have been something circulating in my A/C for 9 hours straight. I'm not sure.

But today was a great day to submit my rank list for internship! I have a sense of total peace about my placement (or lack thereof) for next year. A few days ago I was blessed to read through Psalm 112 with some dear sisters (and brother) in Christ, and a line caught my eye.

Psalm 112:1,7:
Praise the Lord!
Blessed is the man who fears the Lord,
who greatly delights in His commandments!
....
He is not afraid of bad news;
his heart is firm, trusting in the Lord.

The Lord is gracious to those who fear him, who walk in his ways and delight in his commandments. We enjoy his providence and tender mercies, and know that whatever comes, it is the Lord's good pleasure for us. So, internship or no, Praise the Lord!

Soli deo gloria!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm not sure where we're hiding all the coal.