Last Horse Across the Finish Line

Remember how I was going to read through Isaiah over break? No deal. But this is because Joel blessed me with the new ESV Study Bible for Christmas, and I've been deeply absorbed in its pages for the past few weeks. Well, week anyway. And I have an earth-shattering observation to share with y'all.

When I read the Bible every day, it changes who I am!

I know, I know...slow clap, as we applaud the final straggling horse (me). After all, doesn't the Scripture tell us that it has this effect? Can't we see this example in those like David who meditated upon the Lord's statutes day and night? (Well, at least early in the morning; that's one example of which I will likely always fall short. I don't do early mornings.)

Really, I wish there were some way to conduct a double-blind study of the correlation between my spiritual health, experience of and resistance to temptation, and my reading of the Word. As it is, there is no hope of a control group, and far too much experimenter bias to render the study reliable or valid.

But alas, all I can report is a shoddy collection of anecdotal evidence. I started in Genesis when I got my new Bible (which weighs a certifiable 50 lbs - if the Word of God is a double-edged sword, then this is a battle axe), just soaking up all the extra information with regard to authorship, themes, cross-references, etc. It not only nourishes my spirit, it also feeds my mind! With the ESV Study Bible it's easier than ever to trace themes and notice connections, and it always highlights the sovereignty of God and His faithful work in a particular (sinful) people for a particular purpose. What a needed reminder in the midst of internship interview season! I can identify with Abraham, who lived in anticipation of a promise, in faith that the Lord would bring it about.

Allow me to reach my point (finally! you no doubt sigh in relief...): I skipped an evening this week (I'm telling you, the early morning thing is my arch-nemesis, though I long to master it) and noticed an immediate decline in my sanctification, as evidenced by increased occurrence of overtly sinful thoughts and decreased ability to withstand temptation. Coincidence? I think not - though this is where that double-blind study with control group would come in handy.

Dissertation, get thee out of my head.

What I'm trying to say is that the Word of God? It's like a light to my feet and a lamp to my path or something. Like maybe reading and meditating on the Word and promises of God bring life and revive the soul? I don't know. But it's like I read that somewhere once...

No comments: