Birthday Reflections and Thanks

My birthday was on Saturday. I'm officially old (or is it really old?). Ok, probably not in the eyes of most of you, but I'm at that twentysomething age where every year I mourn the passing of another bit of youth. Farewell, flawless skin and bikini-ready silhouette. Adieu, boundless stores of energy that allow me to pull all-nighters. Ciao, carefree days of friends and malls and giggling over boys. See you never, times of little responsibility and bills to be paid by others.

Sigh.

Hello, Grownup World! Land of budgets and metabolism changes and dissertations and time management, and did I mention stress?

But there are certain aspects of Grownup World that I would not trade for all the benefits of eternal youth. An ever-blossoming relationship with Mr. Wonderful, for one. Who just came in from unloading a car full of our friend's belongings (more on that later) and thought it would be helpful to warm his frigid hands by placing them on my warm, sensitive skin. And tried to convince me that it was fun. What a wonderful guy.

Although he does have his moments of utility. Like earlier when he unleashed a stink bomb next to me on the couch and claimed he was "reminding me that it was time for me to go". But I digress.

As I age, I learn ever more of the joys of adulthood and maturity. For example, only as an adult may I choose to have a birthday party that lasts until 4:00 a.m. without fear of parental interference. Only as an adult may I reside in my very own home (well...our very own rental house, anyway) and blast the volume of movies and classic rock until the walls shake. The privileges may not outweigh the responsibilities, but are not to be taken lightly, either.

May I tell you about my birthday party?

It was absurd. (absurd: inconsistent with logic or common sense; incongruous, inviting ridicule)

Due to the limits of confidentiality, the description must remain there. But trust me when I say that you would not believe the absurdity of it all. Especially that movie we watched at two in the morning after Mr. Wonderful got home. So....absurd. In a good way.

My party was also wonderful! Not only did four of my closest friends come over to help ring in my birthday, but they gave of themselves in ways I could not even imagine.

Leana made cupcakes. That didn't really do it justice. Leana made CUPCAKES!!!!! Much better. She and Kasi also gave me a gift certificate for a One-Hour Massage at a nearby massage school. Laurie brought the drinks and gave me gift certificates for THREE FREE VOICE LESSONS with a really terrific lady. It's not every day you get a birthday present that pushes you toward realizing your dreams! Melissa didn't make it due to an unfortunate intramural basketball incident involving her husband, but she did provide the ***** (confidentiality censor). Wish you could have been there, girl!

Also, yay for playing with font options on blogspot.

All this to say...thank you ladies for a most spectacular birthday evening. I truly felt loved and had a blast carrying on with y'all about (confidential topics). I've had close friends in my day, but I don't know that I've ever felt this much a part of an actual circle of friends. Like, a whole group of people who like me and whom I like back. Also of whom my parents would approve. Sweet!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ahhh, we love you, too. So, would your parents still love us if you exanded on the absurdity and filled in the ****? :)


And I just need to say that I actually love you more for using the word "y'all" unabashedly. Way to release your inner Texan!
Kasi

Elizabeth said...

Hmmm good point...I think they would definitely still love you because of COURSE they would understand that that was totally a one-time deal and deep down we're all really wholesome ladies who just needed to relieve some stress. Quite understandable, no?

But I still don't think I'm going to expand on the ****. Everyone who needs to know, already does. :-)