I Can't Imagine the First Day of Kindergarten

So, um, I did it.

I mailed out my first batch of internship applications - which consisted of all of three packets.

But still, it's a big step, especially when you consider that it means ALL of my packets are 90% ready to go except for personalized cover letters.

Can I tell you how difficult it was to let them go?

I was all business, working the automated postage machine for all it was worth and neatly printing my labels. Then I gathered my three packets in my arms and headed over to Big Blue with the intention of washing my hands of them forever.

Then I realized that I was about to wash my hands of them forever. And people, I FREAKED OUT inside. It was half excitement, half nervousness, and half ambiguous jittery feeling. If you think the math doesn't add up, just IMAGINE HOW I WAS FEELING. Goodness gracious, sakes alive.

I took a deep breath, pulled the thingymajig open and dropped my packets inside. I gazed upon them for one last moment and then pushed Big Blue's big blue mouth closed. And that, my friends, was the most tangible experience of a total relinquishing of control. It was a most underwhelming moment - it really seemed like there should have been gongs, whistles, fireworks, something to commemorate this huge milestone. I have now officially applied to three internship sites - and nobody even knows it yet. (Except, my lucky readers, for you!)

I just can't even tell you. It is out of my hands. Except for those 11 other packets that need their cover letters.

Next trip to the post office I am definitely taking a camera, a friend, and a bottle of champagne. Possibly kazoos also.

Just think, someday I will have to drop my kids off at school.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kazoos and candy corn all around!

-Ryan

Scott Pearce said...

What were the geographic locations of the first three internship sites? Are these your top three choices?

Joel said...

i don't know where they were, but i know they were the three with the earliest application deadlines and not necessarily tied to top choice.

Elizabeth said...

They were in Pennsylvania - one in Pittsburgh, one in Hershey, and one in the Mt. Gretna area. The New Jersey sites have later deadlines :-).