It's the Magnificent Multi-Phasic Take-Your-Time Machine!

That's right, folks, we're going back in time today - two decades back, to that glorious era when Psalty the Singing Songbook catapulted Christian music from its "corny beginnings" to a "whole new level of sophistication"!

Did you grow up singing along with Psalty, feeling sorry for poor Risky Rat, and wishing you could try Charity Churchmouse's Cherry Chive Chocolate Cheese Chutney?

Well kids, get on board the gospel train!

Psalty: Behind the Music
[created by Saddleback, featuring Rick Warren who claims that Psalty taught him the five purposes of life; the "corny" music lady is Psalty's wife, who later played Charity Churchmouse!]



Bonus: Purchase your favorite Psalty gear, DVDs, and CDs (and old cassette tapes, if you still own a device that can play them) at Psalty.com! You can even email Psalty!

Does this make anyone else as completely and utterly happy as it makes me? Despite the inevitable blank stares and barely-suppressed snickers when I mention Psalty to my Christian friends (a grown man dressed as a singing what?), he was not a figment of my imagination! There are others who lived the dream - and indeed, are carrying the torch in a blindingly kaleidoscopic way over at the Psalty Store.

We will be providing our children with all the Psalty material they can cognitively and emotionally digest. Perhaps I should place my order now - you know, just in case. Not at all because I miss singing along to the Salvation Celebration.

Side note: does anyone know what makes the breakout game particularly "Psalty's"? Are we escaping the walls of sin and death? At least the Word Find includes Psalty Vocab like "Psaltina" and "blooper".

[ht: http://stuffchristianslike.blogspot.com, where Psalty himself left an "epistle-length" comment in response to the original post about him. The comment is a copy and paste from Psalty's blog!]

Please let me know if the video takes too long to load. I can link to it externally instead of having it embedded here.

5 comments:

Natali Monnette said...

Psalty is all very well...but did you "do" "Music Machine"???

Natali Monnette said...

P.S. I had to forward this post to a good friend back home whose church did a Psalty play way back when. The success was dampered by Psalty (played by the pastor, I believe) running off with Psaltina (someone else's wife).

Rebecca said...

I don't remember specifics of Psalty, but I did listen to Psalty's music when I was little. Did you also listen to the song Bullfrogs and Butterflies? Not really sure who put that out, but I remember dancing around in a leotard to that one :-)

Anonymous said...

I still have the Psalty songbooks.

Scott Pearce said...

I still have the text and reference to at least six Bible verses committed to memory because of a Psalty song. I forget to what cassette it belonged, but it was a song where kids would quote a different verse for each letter of the alphabet.

It bothered me to no end that they pretended like "Exceeding great and precious promises are given unto us (2 Peter 1.4)" started with the letter 'X.'