Homesick

This morning's post on the Ligonier blog speaks of the homesickness we often feel as Christians, living in a land not our own, aliens in a foreign place, whose citizenship is in heaven. Since these ideas form the basis for my blog's identity as "Everyday Wanderer", I am eager to link to this post and encourage you to read Keith Mathison's thoughts.

Bonus: He includes a video of Dougie MacLean singing and playing an acoustic version of "Caledonia", a traditional Celtic song that I love (a la my fascination with "Celtic Woman"). This song was the inspiration for Mathison's post (double bonus!).

I would love to quote his post in its entirety right here, but that would be unfair. Instead, here's an excerpt to whet your appetite:

'Those of us who are believers, therefore, feel something akin to homesickness, and a song like "Caledonia" resonates in our soul. We take joy in and give thanks for the grace and mercy that is now ours because of the work of our Lord Jesus Christ, and we give thanks for the many blessings we have in this life, but we also daily struggle with the world, the flesh, and the devil. We see the suffering caused by sin around us, and we experience it ourselves. We see friends and family go home before us, leaving us to carry on without them. We cry out, "How long, O Lord?"'


[Several quotables in a row, I know - my creative juice[s?] seem to be a bit backed up at the moment. It's not as uncomfortable as it sounds.]

4 comments:

Scott Pearce said...

I have been keeping a mental list of "Songs To Download" until I heard this guy I had never heard of sing a song I had never heard. Now I have a written list and this is the top song on it.

Joel said...

I like his version better than the Celtic Woman version ;-)

Elizabeth said...

Woa now, honey, them's fightin' words...

Scott Pearce said...

I confess that I actually watched the first two minutes of the Celtic Woman concert version, too. Her voice was pleasant, but I didn't believe her when she sang. There was nothing to suggest longing or heartache in her voice. That's a vote for Dougie MacLean.